Why is data such a challenge in AIM?

The entire Architecture Information Modelling process is an extreme example of the big data problem.

For those not familiar with the term “big data” – which is bandied about a lot by the computer software developers – it is meant to represent the humongous amount of data sometimes we humans have to deal with – or rather, what computers have to deal with.

Because; humans actually do have a magic trick up their sleeve: The built-environment was a place to store symbols, artefacts, graphics and other means of representation; literally for thousands of years

Why should this suddenly be important now?

Actually; it has been important for years – nay, centuries! But firstly, we swept it all under the table. Secondly; we never really had a machine such as a computer to do something about it. This has resulted in an untenable planet, with huge issues that we are leaving behind for our next generations.

Let me explain the big data problem in another way. Think of the entire AIM process; i.e. from inception of a design all the way thru design iterations to design finalization. Then construction…to usage… Think of the moments of time that passes by. Put the entire process as some magical material flowing down the tube of time.

Each slice of that tube contains a huge amount of data which ideally should have played a role in the development of the design. But for pragmatic reasons, many of us are not in a position to consider all the factors.

Let me give an example: In one house design, we may be talking of the idiosyncrasies of the family members, the climate and so on. But in the next house design; the family members are not imposing their eccentricities on the architect.

In short; There are a million different things which can come into play even when you had just started a design. In a modelling system, can it have ALL the possible starting points? No. That is not possible at all. Because if you tailor make a modelling system for one approach to design, then the other approaches would be hurt.

So one needs to search for a more deeper systemization method; rather than a superficial one. The problem with existing CAD and BIM systems is that they simply assume that architects can be straitjacketed to accept one or a few ways of moving through that pipe of time.

That means, we are manipulated by software and the data those software can handle; in order to iterate through our design cycles.

So this topic requires a lot of fine grained discussions. I hope those reading this can respond.